Due to the influx of me seeing Ladybirds, I’ve decided to share their symbolism. In case other’s are curious or just want to know!
Ladybug’s medicine includes carrying the golden strand that leads to the centre of the universe, past lives, spiritual enlightenment, death and rebirth, renewal, regeneration, fearlessness, protection, good luck, wishes being fulfilled, protection.
Although the lady bug is a beetle, it is still liked by humans - their small size symbolises and gentle loving nature, and they give off an energy of being harmless. This shows us how to stop harming ourselves. Though small in size the ladybug is fearless. As fear cannot exist amongst joy, the ladybug brings a message of promise, for they get us back in touch with the joy of living - we must let go of our fears and go back to our roots, to love. We are also taught to restore our trust and faith in the universe, we have to get over ourselves, our egos, and allow life to take its course going with the flow.
Their life cycle is only about 4 weeks long, meaning that over a summer several generations are produced, linking the ladybug to the energies of regeneration and renewal. Their short life span teaches us not to worry, and to live life to the full and always in the now. Let go, let the universe and your inner voice guide you. People with this totem are generally family orientated, have strong morals and social values.
Adult ladybugs can eat thousands of aphids and other scale insects in their life time, and have long been regarded as a good omen by farmers and crop growers as these can be detrimental to crop production. However, due to its diet the ladybug often has parasites - a message to those with this power animal to look after their digestive system.
Ladybug showing up in ones life foretells a time of luck and protection, where wishes start to become actualised. The seasons of autumn and spring will be the most plentiful times for those with this power animal. Worries will quickly disperse when ladybug appears as they shield us from our aggravations, paving the way for new found happiness - aim high, you will get what you focus on. However, ladybug also cautions us not to force things or try to hard to fulfil your wishes, go with the flow and let things take their natural course. Your wishes will come true when they do - in their own time!
Perhaps best known as an emblem of luck. When a Ladybug lands on you, it is said your wish will come true.
Asian traditions hold to the belief that if caught and then released, the Ladybug will faithfully fly to your true love and whisper your name in his/her ear. Upon hearing the Ladybug’s message your true love will hurry his/her way to your side.
Myth’s and Sayings -
An ancient Norse belief says that the ladybug first came to earth by lightning and was connected to the goddess of love and beauty. The ladybug was associated with the Norse Goddess Freya, also a virgin mother. In German, the name “Marienkafer” , and in Scandinavia, the name “Nyckelpiga”, both relate back to “Goddess”.
In shamanism, Ladybug is associated with spirituality and religious devotion. Its life is short and it teaches to let go of worries and fears, to trust the great spirit and enjoy life. It is thought to be connected with the powers of renewal and regeneration. The Ladybug’s appearance brings joy and changes and is a message to have faith in the greater powers.
European folklore said that if one landed on your clothing you would soon get married, and if it landed on your skin or hair you will have good luck. It was also thought to be a fairy’s pet and one could make three wishes when it was seen.
- Agate: aids self-diagnosis and visualization.
- Amethyst: helps you to center and expand the meditation experience, hold one in each hand.
- Ametrine: speeds the meditation process, so you get to your own deepest state in less time.
- Apophyllite: promotes reflection.
- Blue Quartz: helps you reach a state of bliss, enlightenment, or peak experience.
- Carnelian: provides inner strength in long meditations and is especially suitable for retreats.
- Celestite: helps you to identify and promote your dreams, ambitions and goals in life.
- Charoite: brings clarity to the mind and stillness to the body.
- Fire Opal: aids vision.
- Fluorite: clears and stills the mind, bringing focus.
- Garnet: connects to the heart and base chakras, grounding emotion and the meditative experience.
- Golden Calcite: aids healing visualizations.
- Hessonite: helps you go to the "next level" from wherever you are.
- Imperial Topaz: advances enlightenment, the universal connection to everything, giving a feeling of oneness or bliss, and enhances visualization and distant healing.
- Kunzite: is centering, helps you reach a deep state of meditation, and promotes intuition.
- Kyanite: helps you get started with the process of meditation.
- Malachite: is good for looking deep within yourself, aiding the release of emotions, and bringing stillness.
- Morganite: helps to fill the space in your heart created by loss of grief and helps expand your meditation to send out love from your heart to the world.
- Peridot: promotes the search for enlightenment.
- Petalite: helps you stay grounded during and after meditation and bring the experience into your everyday life.
- Petrified Wood: connects to past lives.
- Pietersite: encourages visions and supports visualization during guided meditation.
- Prehnite: helps you to get started with the process of meditation.
- Quartz Crystal: supports all meditations and each stage of the process.
- Red Jasper: keeps you grounded while promoting the meditative state.
- Ruby: creates a connection between the base, heart, and crown chakras, promoting peak experiences, bliss, or the feeling of connection to everything around you.
- Smokey Quartz: clears the ind and gives auric protection during deep meditations.
- Spirit Quartz: aids insight into family and community problems.
- Tanzanite: facilitates visualization and understanding gained during meditations.
- Tiger's Eye: supports distant healing.
- Titanium Quartz: helps you see many possibilities.
- Verdelite: a green variety of tourmaline, aids visualization.
- Turquoise: grounds peak experienes.
- Vanadinite: creates a state of "no mind" (when thoughts are absent); aids visualization, and helps circular breathing (inhaling while exhaling).
- White Calcite: makes it easier to find answers.
- Crystal Chakra Healing by Philip Permutt